Fashion Stylist Job Description
Find out what a fashion stylist job is really like.
From working with celebrity clients to styling models for photo shoots, a fashion stylist career provides exciting opportunities to share your passion for style with a variety of interesting people. There are many different arenas in which fashion stylists use their talents, from music videos to advertisements to TV shows and movies. They may also work with designers or public relations experts.
Good fashion stylists know how to accentuate the positive attributes of the people they dress. Choosing the right outfit to flatter someone—in a way that is appropriate for each event—is an art. Fashion styling requires extensive knowledge of the fashion industry and a knack for matching your clients with the clothing that will support the image they want to project.
Skills Needed for a Fashion Stylist Job
- Fashion Knowledge and Adventurous Style – When putting together a look, fashion stylists must consider a number of factors, such as color and fit. Knowing what clothes will flatter a variety of body types is important in fashion styling. Successful fashion stylists see the possibilities in clothing. They can take conventional pieces and use them in unconventional ways. They are clothing innovators.
- Ability to Communicate – Fashion stylists need to be able to find the compromise between their own style and opinions and their clients' wants and needs. They need to be able to influence without overpowering.
- Business Sense – Most fashion stylists are self-employed, so they need to be able to run their own businesses. They must maintain client relationships and handle administrative tasks or hire others to do them.
- Job Description
- Becoming a Fashion Merchandiser
- Interview: Fashion Merchandiser
- Career Info
- Merchandising / Marketing / Buying