Interior Designer Job Description
Find out what an interior design job is all about.
A good interior designer has to manage people, budgets and client relationships—all while designing spaces that are attractive, functional, and meet building and safety codes. Professionals in an interior design career need organizational skills and business know-how. So it's not surprising that getting an interior design degree is quickly becoming essential for those wishing to enter the interior design job market. A degree is also a licensure requirement in many states.
Skills Needed for the Job
- Artistic Ability and Style – You will need to provide sketches of your proposed designs for a space. CAD training may also come in handy, since the interior design process often involves using computer programs to create two and three-dimensional renderings. You will choose colors, furniture and materials to complement the design, as well as suit your client's needs for function, durability and accessibility.
- Teamwork Ability – In an interior design job, you'll communicate with clients to assess what they want and need in a space, and then present your ideas for meeting those goals in a compelling way. You'll also need to communicate with vendors and contractors. Your responsibilities also include coordinating with architects, electricians, plumbers and others to complete the job in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Organizational Skills – Since interior designers complete a wide range of tasks and work with many different people, organizational skills are important. You are responsible for keeping the project on budget and on schedule. You will need to document your process and the products used, and manage contracts and negotiations on your client’s behalf.
Steps to Becoming an Interior Designer
Interior Design Resources
- Job Description
- Planning Your Education
- Prepare for Interior Design School
- Top Ten Interior Design Schools
- Interior Design Training Courses
- Get a Degree Online
- Getting Job Experience
- NCIDQ Certification
- Getting Your License