Find out what it takes to be a fashion stylist.
There are many different arenas in which fashion stylists use their talents, from music videos to advertisements to TV shows and movies. They may also work with designers or public relations experts.
Good fashion stylists know how to accentuate the positive attributes of the people they dress. Choosing the right outfit to flatter someone—in a way that is appropriate for each event—is an art.
Fashion styling requires extensive knowledge of the fashion industry and a knack for matching your clients with the clothing that will support the image they want to project.
Typical Responsibilities for Fashion Stylists
- Picking clothing and accessories for editorial features and advertisements, concerts, music videos, films and TV shows
- Working with designers, tailors, models, photographers, hair and makeup artists, retailers, members of the media, publicists, celebrities and public figures
- Creating an image for celebrities
- Researching fabrics, clothing construction and fashion accessories
- Keeping up with different designer labels and fashion designers
- Attending fashion shows
- Predicting and spotting fashion trends
- Locating clothing from all over the world
- Building professional networks
- Lifting heavy garment bags
Skills Needed for Fashion Stylists
- Knowledge of fashion trends, color schemes and designer labels
- Awareness of art, design and fashion history
- Understanding of different face and body shapes
- Knowledge of different body types and how to dress them in the most flattering way
- Business skills such as marketing, networking and advertising
- Effective communication skills to work with clients
- Creativity and innovation
- Eye for detail
- Well organized
Source: All About Styling