Types of Interior Design
Learn about interior design specialties so you can focus your career.
Whether you prefer sticking to one interior design style that fits you perfectly, or you want to switch things up now and then, an interior design career gives you many options.
Here are some of the most popular types of careers and specialties you can pursue within the umbrella field called interior design:
- Bathroom Design: Help your clients get the bathrooms of their dreams with designs that are elegant and restful as well as functional.
- Corporate Interior Design: Design ergonomic and efficient work spaces that will project the right image for a company.
- Exhibit Design: Create exhibits for clients ranging from art galleries to zoos, or help companies design exhibits for tradeshows and showrooms.
- Feng Shui Interior Design: Use the principles of Feng Shui to get the energy flowing and create balance in an environment.
- Green Interior Design: Develop expertise in designing spaces using products and methods that are environmentally friendly.
- Health Care Interior Design: Help make health care centers such as hospitals, cancer centers, drug treatment centers and nursing homes more efficient and welcoming through interior design.
- Hotel Interior Design: Create inviting spaces for the hotel industry while considering several important factors such as: comfort, function, aesthetic appeal, concept and budget.
- Japanese and Asian Interior Design: Bring the graceful, uncluttered aesthetic of Japanese and Asian interior design to clients in any geographic location.
- Kitchen Design: Give your clients the kitchen they’ve always wanted. Develop expertise on appliances and efficient kitchen design.
- Modern Interior Design: Incorporate the sleek look and practical principles of modern design into your work.
- Residential Interior Design: Work with clients to improve the form and function of their living spaces, while helping them define and reflect their personal style.
- Restaurant Interior Design: Develop design concepts that will contribute to positive customer experiences and the success of restaurant businesses.
- Set Design: Use your design skills to work in film, television or theater.
- Zen Interior Design: Create beautiful interior spaces using the minimalist style of Zen interior design.