Fashion Photography Schools and Jobs
Find out if you have what it takes to click in a fashion photography career.
Traveling to exotic locations is one of many perks you might enjoy as a fashion photographer.
While you may also find yourself shivering on top of a glacier a time or two, fashion photography is a creative job that won't keep you chained to a desk for sure.
Working in fashion photography, you will help fashion designers market their clothing to the public. You'll create a visual story that sparks interest in new styles and trends.
As a fashion photographer, you may be self-employed or do freelance work. You may also find employment opportunities with magazines or clothing retailers.
Skills Needed in a Fashion Photography Job
- Artistic Sensibility: Thinking that fashion photography is nothing more than taking pictures of models and clothing would be too simplistic a view. Fashion photographers set and capture a mood. This takes creativity and innovation. Attention to artistic detail is key for any aspiring fashion photographer.
- Technical Skill: From traditional development methods to digital editing, technology plays an increasingly important role in this field. Fashion photographers who have the necessary computer skills can use digital photography technology to edit their work and create special effects.
- Organizational Ability: Since many fashion photographers freelance, those who are self-starters should do well in this field. The ability to stay organized and focused will help when establishing a credible reputation in the industry.
- Teamwork: The ability to work well with others is beneficial in fashion photography, as in any field. You will need to be able to communicate with your customers and deliver the product they want. You will also need to be able to work with a variety of people—from models to stylists—to complete your work.
Fashion Photography Education
Not sure how to become a fashion photographer?
Like many other artistic occupations, fashion photography is a competitive field. The training you will receive in photography classes can help you build your experience and portfolio and prepare you for fashion photography and other photography careers.
Photography Degree & Career Guide
- A Pro Talks About His Photography Training
- Digital Photography: The New Standard
- Fashion Photography Schools and Jobs
- Five Photography Careers That Pay the Bills
- Get in Focus at Photography School
- Outlook for Photography Jobs
- Photography School and Career Guide
- Six Reasons to Attend Photography School
- Specialize Your Photography Training and Career
- Tips for Starting a Photography Business
- Top Five Photography Portfolio Tips
- What to Ask Before Deciding on a Photography School