Fashion Stylist Job Description
Find out what it takes to be a fashion stylist.
Fashion stylists work for individuals, fashion houses and clothing brands. Their primary responsibilities include providing fashion advice; choosing and co-ordinating outfits for models in photo shoots or actors in television and film; and choosing props and accessories and preparing them for shoots.
From working with celebrity clients to styling models for photo shoots, a fashion stylist career provides exciting opportunities to share your passion for style with various interesting people.
Good fashion stylists know how to accentuate the positive attributes of the people they dress. Choosing the right outfit to flatter someone—in an appropriate way for each event—is an art.
Fashion styling requires extensive knowledge of the fashion industry and a knack for matching your clients with clothing that will support the image they want to project.
Typical Responsibilities for Fashion Stylists
There are many different arenas in which fashion stylists use their talents, from music videos to advertisements to TV shows and movies. They may also work with designers or public relations experts. Typical responsibilities include:
- Picking clothing and accessories for editorial features and advertisements, concerts, music videos, films and TV shows
- Working with designers, tailors, models, photographers, hair and makeup artists, retailers, members of the media, publicists, celebrities and public figures
- Creating an image for celebrities
- Researching fabrics, clothing construction and fashion accessories
- Keeping up with different designer labels and fashion designers
- Attending fashion shows
- Predicting and spotting fashion trends
- Locating clothing from all over the world
- Building professional networks
- Lifting heavy garment bags
Skills Needed for Fashion Stylists
- Knowledge of fashion trends, color schemes and designer labels
- Awareness of art, design and fashion history
- Understanding of different face and body shapes
- Knowledge of different body types and how to dress them in the most flattering way
- Business skills such as marketing, networking and advertising
- Effective communication skills to work with clients
- Creativity and innovation
- Eye for detail
- Well organized
Source: All About Styling
Fashion Design Degree & Career Guide
- 5 Ways to Prepare for Fashion Design School
- A Fashion Designer Speaks from Experience
- A Fashion Graduate from the Art Institute Tells Her Story
- All About the Fashion Design Industry
- Choosing a Fashion Design School
- Cities on the Fashion Week Honor Roll
- Fashion Career Paths: Find Your Niche
- Fashion Design Collages: Your Path to Fashion Inspiration
- Fashion Design School and Career Guide
- Fashion Stylist Job Description
- Fashion Week Kicks Off
- New York: Fashion Design Capital of the U.S.
- Popular Fashion Schools
- Tips for a Fashion Design Career
- Trends in the Fashion World